Saturday, May 17, 2008

Happy Birthday! (to me)

Being from San Antonio, I'm always on the hunt for good Texas beef brisket...but I believe after tonight, my search is over!

After an exciting day at Artsplosure in Moore Square (where I happened to run into a friend I haven't seen in 10 years - I know, bad me for not keeping in touch) and then a short jaunt to the Farmers' Market, we (that would be me and Marshall - my significant other - other what, we're still debating that one) decided to get a bite to eat at Falls River Smokehouse since neither of us had ever been there. It was the best decision we made all day!
As an appetizer, we tried the BBQ nachos - gooey cheese, pulled pork BBQ, and jalapenos mounded on top of a basket-full of tortilla chips. Marshall got the standard pulled pork BBQ sandwich (which he said was very good) and I decided on the "choose 2" platter - BBQ spare ribs and Texas beef brisket, along with 2 sides (Brunswick stew and sweet potato fries) and cornbread. Yes, I was quite the pig, but it was just too good to pass up. Needless to say, when Vernon (the owner and chef) came by our table I told him I was "in love with the beef brisket!" It was so incredibly tender, it fell apart when I stabbed it with my fork. And the taste had just the right blend of seasonings and smoke flavor.
And just when I didn't think it could get any better, I had to try the Krispy Kreme Bread Pudding. Now, I do like bread pudding, and anything made from doughnuts has to be tasted...it's bread pudding made from Krispy Kreme doughnuts with chocolate chips and a citrus glaze. I told Vernon that I would definitely be coming back and ordering nothing but a heaping plate of brisket and another plate of the bread pudding!

Who would have thunk it - a dinner pick on a whim turned out to be a wonderful culinary experience, all in a down-home atmosphere that really was quite affordable. And it was the perfect finish to a great birthday for me!

Falls River Smokehouse Website

Falls River Smokehouse Review

No comments: