Thursday, May 22, 2008

the Korean steakhouse experience...

Me and my friend, Shanette, decided to grab dinner at a new Korean steakhouse that opened up down the street - it was either that or Jamaican, but the cute guy that opened the door for us sealed the deal! It was her first time to try Korean - as for me, well, my mom is Korean, so it's a pretty good guess that I've eaten Korean food before (ya think?!?!)

So we did the whole Korean BBQ-thing, where you cook at the table - yes, amazing how you pay a restaurant for food and end up cooking for yourself! But hey, it supposed to be all about the "experience" - kind of like fondue. I got the beef bulgogi and she got the chicken bulgogi - that with miso soup and all the side dishes made for a fairly good meal. I particularly liked the rice they served with the meal - it wasn't the normal sticky white rice - it had red beans (even though they really look purple) mixed in with it...quite yummy! I've never been served rice that way...

I even chose to partake in some alcoholic experimentations...the first item to catch my attention was called a pineapple upside-down cake - vanilla vodka and pineapple juice (?) - it was good enough, but I expected it to be more pineapple-y. For my second choice, I picked out the German chocolate cake...I know, sounds more like I'm pigging out on desserts rather than drinks, but I didn't name them! The German chocolate cake was coconut rum, Godiva chocolate and some creme liquor (I just can't remember exactly). I did like that one better than the first. The bartender (I assume - either that or some random man - I do tend to attract those) came by our table and asked how I liked the drinks - so I told him...the first was ok, but the second was better. He said they were still in the process of stocking the bar and when done right, the pineapple drink would have mashed pineapples in it and the chocolate one would have coconut flake around the rim of the martini glass. Sound good to me!!!

Over all, a well laid out meal - probably a little pricey for regular visits at about $20 per person, depending on what you order, and $7 mixed drinks...but it's not out of range compared to the other Korean restaurant I frequent a few miles away (and this one has a bar). What surprises me the most is what are the odds that in Raleigh, North Carolina, there are 2 (and maybe more) Korean eateries within 5 miles of me? Maybe the cuisine is catching on? a fad? who knows, but I'm not complaining considering my mom is in Texas so no home-cooked meals from her any time soon.

In the end, a good dinner with a good friend - perfect to finish off a pretty decent day!

No comments: